NCCP Sport Nutrition
Good nutrition is important for both athletic performance and maintaining a healthy lifestyle outside of sport. By helping their participants make good nutrition choices, coaches not only empower them to perform their best, they help them to establish positive dietary habits that can last a lifetime.
The National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) Sport Nutrition module provides coaches with education about basic sport nutrition principles. This 40-60-minute eLearning module will provide an understanding of how best to support athletes and their parents or caregivers to make effective nutrition choices.
After completing NCCP Sport Nutrition, coaches will be able to:
- Explain the basic nutritional needs of an athlete.
- Take appropriate measures to ensure that athletes stay hydrated during exercise.
- Educate athletes on the use of nutritional supplements and sports drinks.
- Encourage a positive body image in athletes.
- Identify the different types of disordered eating.
- Support athletes with special nutritional needs.
- Identify common food allergies and intolerances.
- Provide accurate guidance to athletes and their parents or caregivers on nutrition before, during and after exercise.
- Provide accurate nutritional guidance to athletes and their parents or caregivers before and during travel.
Coaches who are maintaining their NCCP trained or certified status will receive 5 Professional Development (PD) points upon completing this module. NCCP Sport Nutrition may also be required as part of a coach training or certification pathway for specific sports. For more information, find your sport here.
Visit the NCCP Sport Nutrition eLearning page in the Locker to take this module!