Fundamental Movement Skills - Additional Information
For more information about a workshop in your area, please contact your local Provincial/Territorial Coaching Representative directly, or click the link below.
“Physical literacy is the motivation, confidence, physical competence, knowledge, and understanding to value and take responsibility for engagement in physical activities for life."
- International Physical Literacy Association, May 2014
Fundamental movement skills are a key component of helping participants to be physically literate at any age. When leaders help participants competently develop fundamental movement skills, the participants will gain increased confidence and motivation, and take more responsibility to be physically active for life.
The NCCP Fundamental Movement Skills Workshop, presented by TeamSnap, is suited to any person working with participants who wish to improve their fundamental movement skills. These skills need to be learned prior to fundamental sport skills. When participants learn fundamental movement skills, they have a choice to participate in a wide range of other activities.
What are the NCCP Fundamental Movement Skills?
Fundamental movement skills are the building blocks of movement. They can occur in and on different environments: air, water, ice and land. The different movements include rolling, swinging, sliding, skipping and many others.
The NCCP Fundamental Movement Skills Workshop, presented by TeamSnap, focuses on the following specific fundamental movement skills:
Workshop participants can apply the skills they learn in this module for these seven fundamental movement skills to other fundamental movements.
What is the NCCP Fundamental Movement Skills Workshop, presented by TeamSnap?
• It is an interactive, in-person module.
• It provides tools, templates and games/activities to help coaches and leaders implement practices and sessions to develop fundamental movement skills.
• It is a recognized NCCP professional development module reflecting NCCP instructional design.
What does this module not cover?
• It does not cover fundamental sport skills.
• It does not include sport-specific resources, nor technical resources.
• It does not make people experts in coaching, nor experts in disabilities.
• It does not replicate existing disability or sport-specific resources and programming.
• It does not focus on competitive or high-performance sport.
What is the module’s purpose?
The NCCP Fundamental Movement Skills module, presented by TeamSnap, is designed for coaches, educators, and recreation/youth/sport leaders who want to learn how to observe, detect, and correct the fundamental movement skills to guide the physical development of children. By helping children develop the building blocks of movement, we can support them to be active for their lifespans.
What recognition will I receive for completing the training?
After completing the training, you will be entered in the Locker as being NCCP Fundamental Movement Skills Trained. Furthermore, the workshop is a professional development module that allows NCCP certified coaches to earn five (5) professional development points towards their NCCP Maintenance of Certification.
In the past, I already took the NCCP Fundamental Movement Skills module. Should I take it again?
Yes! Any coach, educator or recreation/sport/youth leader wishing to improve the fundamental movement skills of their participants will benefit from taking the workshop or revisiting the module as a refresher. In January 2018, the NCCP Fundamental Movement Skills module, presented by TeamSnap, was updated. Those who have completed the module prior to the revision will benefit from the new tools, resources, and information contained in the updated workshop.
The NCCP Fundamental Movement Skills Workshop, presented by TeamSnap, is also a professional development module that allows NCCP certified coaches to earn five (5) professional development points towards their NCCP Maintenance of Certification.
Where can I find ideas for additional activities?
The NCCP Fundamental Movement Skills Workshop, presented by TeamSnap, provides a number of games and activities to promote the development of fundamental movement skills. However, here are additional resources for games and activities:
- 150 Coaching Collection: Activities to Plan and Deliver in Practice
- Active for Life: Activities List
- Canadian Paralympic Committee: FUNdamentals Resource
- Canucks Autism: Helpful Resources
- PHE Canada: Resources List
- PlaySport: Resource List
- Physical Activity and Sport for Women aged 55 to 70+
- Sport for Life Society/Physical Literacy for Life: Resource List
- TeamSnap Skills and Drills