Do your athletes know what to eat on competition day?
It goes without saying that fuelling for a competition is incredibly important to an athlete’s success. We’ve prepared a list of food to help optimize their performance.
The pre-event meal must be high in carbohydrate (65-70% of total calories consumed). Fat and protein, which take longer to digest, should be consumed in smaller amounts.
• Cereal — with low-fat milk
• Yogurt — low-fat, plain or fruit
• French toast and/or pancakes – with no added butter or margarine
• Egg dishes — not fried
• Ham or steak — if lean/not fried (small amounts)
• Potato — not fried
• Rice — not fried
• Noodles, pasta
• Toast — with limited amounts of butter/margarine
• Muffins — try jam or jelly, not butter
• Beverages —Athletes should drink plenty of fluid!
• Bottled water
• Fruit juice — fresh, canned, cartons
• Skim milk, Ovaltine
• Cheese — in moderation
• Fruit and vegetables, fruit and vegetable juices — fresh, canned, cartons
• Cold cuts — turkey, chicken, lean beef, lean ham (reasonable portions)
• Salads — bean, peeled fresh vegetables, fruit salad, low-fat cottage cheese (small amount of dressing)
• Meat, fish, poultry — broiled, roasted, baked, barbecued, poached (reasonable portions; trimmed fat; skin from chicken removed)
• Meat alternatives — beans, peas, and lentil dishes if these are familiar foods; gas produced when these foods are not part of the usual diet can cause discomfort.
• Potatoes — baked, boiled, mashed (without butter/margarine)
• Rice – steamed, plain
• Noodles – plain
• Pasta – plain/tomato/vegetable sauce
• Bread- rolls, crackers, all breads
Pre-event nerves may upset the stomach; therefore we recommend that your athletes test the meals before, preferably in pre-exercise or training conditions.
Coaches, enroll in the Nutrition module and gain a better understanding of the best ways to promote healthy food choices. The National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) multi-sport modules series are available through your Provincial or Territorial Coaching Representative.