- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 cups grated sweet potatoes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup cooked or canned split red lentils
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- to taste, salt and ground black pepper
- 8 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 6 whole wheat wraps
- 1 cup finely grated aged cheddar cheese
- 1 large ripe avocado, cut into strips
sour cream & salsa
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook onions and garlic until softened. Add sweet potatoes and chili powder and continue to cook until potatoes are tender. Add lentils and cook for another three minutes. Stir in lime juice and zest, hot sauce, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Reserve the mixture.
- Using the same skillet (clean) or another, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil on medium heat. Add the eggs and cook on medium-low until scrambled. Stir in cilantro and season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Building the wrap: warm the wraps and place them on a clean work surface. Distribute the cheese evenly in the middle of each, spreading it in a thick line down the middle, 1 inch from the top and the bottom. Do the same with the potato and lentil mixture. Follow with the sliced avocado and lastly the scrambled eggs, adding more hot sauce if desired.
- To roll the wraps: Fold the top and bottom sides in toward the center. Roll tightly from left to right until fully wrapped.
- Serve immediately with sour cream and salsa or grill in a panini press until golden.
- Quick Tip: Prep the night before - toss sliced avocado with lime juice before wrapping to prevent browning. Mornings will be a breeze
Nutritional Information (per 1 burrito)
- Calories: 670
- Total Fat: 36 g
- Carbohydrates: 62 g
- Fiber: 14 g
- Protein 24 g
Recipe by: www.lentils.org.