5 ways for a coach to maintain integrity in sport
Core coaching values have been formalized and expressed as a series of principles in the NCCP Code of Ethics. These principles can be thought of as a set of behavioural expectations regarding participating in sport, coaching athletes or teams, and administering sports.
These values are expressed as 5 core ethical principles.
- Physical safety and health of athletes
- Coaching responsibly
- Integrity in relations with others
- Respect of athletes
- Honouring sport
The following chart provides a description of each principle and outlines some implications for coaches.
Standards of Behaviour Expected of Coaches
|Physical safety and health of athletes|| |
- Ensure that training or competition site is safe at all times.
- Be prepared to act quickly and appropriately in case of emergency.
- Avoid placing athletes in situations presenting unnecessary risk or that are beyond their level.
- Strive or preserve the present and future health and well-being of athletes.
|Coaching responsibly|| |
- Make wise use of the authority of the position and make decisions in the interest of athletes.
- Foster self-esteem among athletes.
- Avoid deriving personal advantage for a situation or decision.
- Know one's limitations in terms of knowledge and skills when making decisions, giving instructions or taking action.
- Honour commitments, word given, and agreed objectives.
- Maintain confidentiality and privacy of personal information and use it appropriately.
|Integrity in relations with others|| |
- Avoid situations that may affect objectivity or impartiality of coaching duties.
- Abstain from all behaviours considered to be harassment or inappropriate relations with an athlete.
- Always ensure decisions are taken equitably.
- Ensure that everyone is treated equally, regardless of athletic potential, race, sex, language, religion, or age.
- Preserve the dignity of each person in interacting with others.
- Respect the principles, rules, and policies in force.
|Honouring sport|| |
- Strictly observe and ensure observance of all regulations.
- Aim to compete fairly.
- Maintain dignity in all circumstances and exercise self-control.
- Respect officials and accept their decisions without questionning their integrity.
Enroll in the Leading Drug-free Sport. The National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) multi-sport modules series are available through your Provincial or Territorial Coaching Representative.